A message from Fr. Godfrey
An excerpt from
POPE FRANCIS: REJOICE AND BE GLAD
CHAPTER FIVE: SPIRITUAL COMBAT, VIGILANCE AND DISCERNMENT
159. We are not dealing merely with a battle against the world and a worldly mentality that would deceive us and leave us dull and mediocre, lacking in enthusiasm and joy. Nor can this battle be reduced to the struggle against our human weaknesses and proclivities (be they laziness, lust, envy, jealousy or any others). It is also a constant struggle against the devil, the prince of evil. Jesus himself celebrates our victories. He rejoiced when his disciples made progress in preaching the Gospel and overcoming the opposition of the evil one: “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven” (
St. Ben's Website
What a Mass in St. Peter's Basilica Taught Me About the Eucharist
Corporal Works of Mercy for Those Who Grieve
St. John Henry Newman and the New Evangelization
Every Christian is challenged, here and now, to be actively engaged in evangelization ; indeed, anyone who has truly experienced God's saving love does not need much time or lengthy training to go out and proclaim that love.
Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium
Prayer is a place of refuge for every worry, a foundation for cheerfulness, a source of constant happiness, a protection against sadness.
St. John Chrysostom
Respect for Life Celebration
- October 17th from 5:30-8:15PM at Good Shepherd
Celebrate Mass with Bishop Siegel at 5:30 followed by dinner and discussion. Register by calling Eric Girten at 812-424-5536 or online at
- October 19th and 20th
Collection boxes will be available in the entrances of church to collect
socks, underwear, t-shirts, bras, and panties to support the Christian Life Center. All sizes are needed for boys, girls, men, and women. If you have any questions, please contact David McGill at 812-490-4901.
American Red Cross Blood Drive
- October 20th - Woodward Center
Please plan on donating blood to support hospital patients of all ages. Each donation has the potential to save up to three lives.
and enter: STBENS to schedule an appointment
- Tuesdays in November from 7-8PM in the Woodward Center
Classes cost only $20 for a four week session. Contact Lisa Roth at 812-473-1702 or
One God, One Community
- October 27th at 6:30PM
This event will be held at St. Benedict Cathedral. Hate, bigotry, and the call to love will be discussed.
Annual Style Show -
Doors open at 10AM. Lunch will be served at 11:30AM with the Style Show beginning at noon. This year's event will feature raffles, a silent auction, vendors, and a champagne raffle. Details on how to reserve a table or individual tickets are printed in the bulletin. The reservation deadline is Monday, October 28th. If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, please contact Tami Orr at 812-459-1432.
TEC (Teens Encounter Christ)
- November 9-11th
TEC is a three-day retreat weekend of prayer, reflections, and activities. This activity is geared toward those who are starting their junior year of high school through college age. For more information or to register, go to
Evening of Praise
- November 16th from 7-8:15PM
Featuring Janet Sullivan Whitaker singing her own music and music from others. This event will be held in the church.
- Sunday November 17 at the 10:30AM Mass.
Come help us for Fr. Godfrey's 25 year Jubilee Celebration. A luncheon reception will follow in the cafeteria.
St. Ben's Women's Retreat
January 31st - February 2nd at Sarto Retreat Center
The renovation of our Cathedral has begun. In accordance with the law of the Church and after consultation with Bishop Siegel, we will not be kneeling during Mass until the new kneelers have been installed.
on Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 8:44AM