Fulton Sheen: What is the mystical body of Christ?
Bishop Robert Barron: Fulton Sheen
What is the mystical body of Christ?
The Church is not a Jesus Christ society or a club, but a living organism that is mystically Christ’s Body extended through space and time.
One of Sheen’s early books focused on this mystery and argued that
in the life of Christ is the key to Christian faith.
Watch this short video to find out how you fit into the Body of Christ:
An excerpt from
POPE FRANCIS: REJOICE AND BE GLAD
166. How can we know if something comes from the Holy Spirit or if it stems from the spirit of the world or the spirit of the devil? The only way is through discernment, which calls for something more than intelligence or common sense. It is a gift which we must implore. If we ask with confidence that the Holy Spirit grant us this gift, and then seek to develop it through prayer, reflection, reading and good counsel, then surely we will grow in this spiritual endowment.
Fr. Godfrey's Homily
OT 32C 2019
St. Benedict Cathedral
In just a few minutes, we’ll say it again, as usual:
I believe in the resurrection of the dead.
Yes, I believe in the resurrection of the dead.
When life becomes complicated, I believe.
When relationships are broken, I believe in the resurrection.
When trust is betrayed, I believe.
When friends are mysteriously rude, I believe.
When asked to do what seems too much, I believe in the resurrection.
When someone I love dies, I believe.
When the skies of life are cloudy and grey, I believe.
When mental illness ruins life’s plans, I believe.
When my fears scatter all hope, I believe.
When I convince myself of my inadequacy, I believe in the resurrection.
When no one seems to care, I believe.
When jeopardizing my job, I believe.
When faced with mounting debt, I believe in the resurrection.
When giving up on others, I believe.
When questioning the foundations of faith, I believe.
When I’m hurt, I believe.
When nothing seems right, I believe in the resurrection.
When I’ve betrayed a friend, I believe.
When I’ve said what never should have been said, I believe.
When I’m hanging on by a thread, I believe in the resurrection of the dead.
When family members judge harshly, I believe.
When I create dissension, I believe.
When I’m tired and cranky, I believe in the resurrection.
When I feel alone, I believe.
When I do not love and honor my spouse, I believe.
When conforming life to Christ seems impossible, I believe.
When terminal illness comes to visit, I believe in the resurrection.
When there is no logic in a relationship, I believe.
Whenever darkness threatens, I believe.
I believe in the resurrection. I believe in the resurrection from the dead.
And I believe because the One who knows has taught me.
Let’s shed our propensity for believing the darkness, for being Sadducees.
And let’s put our trust, our hope, our faith in the resurrection.
Today, and always, and forever and ever. Amen. I believe!
Daily Mass Schedule
Tuesday 7AM, 9AM
Wednesday 7AM, 9AM (School Mass)
Thursday - Saturday 7AM, 9AM
Confessions 20 minutes before each Mass until 5 minutes before Mass
Evening of Praise
--Saturday, November 16, 7:00 – 8:15 pm in St. Benedict Cathedral Church, featuring Janet Sullivan Whitaker singing her own music and music from others.
One God, One Community
- Interfaith Thanksgiving Service. Wednesday, Nov. 20, 7PM, First Presbyterian Church.
Fr. Godfrey's Jubilee Celebration
We will be celebrating Fr. Godfrey’s 25th Jubilee of Ordination on Sunday, November 17, at the 10:30 AM Mass, with a reception to follow in the cafeteria.
- A Season of Hope and Expectation. Sunday, December 1, following the 10:30 Mass in the Woodward Center. Coffee and donuts, Advent crafts & music.
St. Ben's Women's Retreat
- January 31 - February 2nd at Sarto Retreat Center
Registration form below.
Mardi Gras 2020
- SAVE THE DATE! Saturday, February 8, 2020 in the Eykamp Hall in the Ridgway Center on the University of Evansville campus. 5:30 – midnight. Dinner, dance & auction.
2020 St.Ben's Women Retreat Registration form.pdf
Photo Credit: Tami Orr
on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 2:00PM